Come experience the City of Possibilities. Portage la Prairie offers the quality of life of a smaller community with amenities of a major centre. With a population of 13,000, the City is a progressive family community, known for our beautiful Island Park, modern recreational facilities, unique shopping and dining opportunities, and shorter commutes.
Reporting directly to the Mayor and six Councillors, the City Manager is responsible for implementing strategic priorities to serve the citizens by identifying, evaluating, and meeting the community needs in accordance with policies and guidelines determined by Council under the provisions of the Municipal Act.
The City Manager is responsible for the management of a $31 million budget and a dedicated senior leadership team who oversee the six departments within the City. As a driven and innovative leader, the City Manager will be a demonstrated team player and a strategic thinker who is comfortable working in a publicly accountable environment. Excellent communication and human resource skills coupled with sound political judgment are required. Working with a strong knowledge of applicable provincial and federal codes, regulations and laws, the successful applicant will have a demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with many stakeholders. The ideal candidate will possess relevant academic qualifications along with significant senior leadership experience, with proven capabilities in project management, change management, budgeting, and remaining current on best work practices and methods applicable to a municipal setting.
If this position interests you, please submit your resume and cover letter clearly demonstrating the qualifications outlined below, as selection for further consideration will be based solely on the information you provide. Applicants able to demonstrate an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- A post-secondary degree in Public or Business Administration or related field
- Five years senior management experience overseeing a municipal department or organization;
- Developing and implementing policies and programs;
- Experience in managing, building, leading, and motivating a team in a unionized environment;
- An understanding of the principles of project management and business plan development;
- Experience managing financial resources, including development of operating and capital budgets;
- Experience working with levels of government, including Federal, Provincial and other Municipalities.
- Experience working with the public, boards, and elected officials;
- Ability to interpret and apply Federal, Provincial and Municipal statutes, regulations, and programs.
- Discretion, tact, compassion, and good judgment;
- Excellent networking and communication skills, both oral and written.
This position offers a competitive salary as negotiated and attractive benefit package.
The selection committee intends to review applications as early as October 27th, 2017; however, applications may continue to be accepted until the right candidate is found. Successful applicants will be required to complete a criminal background check.
Interested applicants may apply, in confidence, by submitting a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
If you would like more information about this position or the City of Portage la Prairie please visit www.city-plap.com or contact Brandy Smith, HR Officer at (204) 239-8338.
We thank all applicants for applying; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.