The purpose of the Finance Department is to safeguard the City’s Investment in assets and services through the provision of accurate and timely information to our internal and external customers.
• Accounts Payable/Receivable • Budget • Business License Applications & Collections • Utility Revenue Collection • Water Turn On/Off • Tax Collection • Financial Statements • Budget Preparation and Administration • Cash Management and Investments • Capital Financing and Control • Accounting and Audit • Management Information Systems • Parking Ticket Collections • False Alarms • Purchasing Controls • Fixed Asset Control • Tendering Co-ordination • Purchasing By-Law Interpretation • Parking
The following licenses or permits are required in the City of Portage la Prairie. Should any of these apply to you, please come into City Hall for payment (if indicated) and registration.
ALARM PERMITS If you have installed a security alarm system in either your home or business, you are required to obtain a permit from the City of Portage la Prairie. There is no charge for this permit. If you currently have such a permit, please ensure that all information is current by calling (204) 239-8309 Click for a printable Alarm Permit Application.
FALSE ALARMS False alarms will be tracked for both burglary AND fire alarms (By-Law 13-8607). Excessive false alarms fees will be charged as outlined on page 7 of the 2017 Fees and Charges Schedule, subsequent to 3 or more false alarms (whether fire, burglary or both) in 12 calendar months.
BUSINESS LICENSE Home occupations and trades not operating out of a commercially taxed premise located in Portage la prairie are regulated by the City of Portage la Prairie and must meet the proper zoning requirements. The cost of a Resident Business License is $100.00, a Regional License is $150.00, a Non-Resident License is $250.00 and Transient trades is $500. Application forms and details are available at City Hall and here.
PET LICENSE If you have a dog or cat over 6 months of age, you are required to obtain a license on an annual basis. Fees are $50.00 per pet per year or $20.00 if your pet is neutered or spayed. Current rabies vaccination is required. Pet licenses for the year are available at no cost if registered January through March.
GARAGE SALE LICENSE You are allowed up to 2 garage sales per year. Garage Sale licenses are required to be purchased prior to the sale and are available at City Hall for the cost of $5.00 per license. Check out Health Canada’s Website on products not eligible for garage sale or call the Winnipeg office at: (204) 983-5490. Upon completion of the garage sale you will be responsible for the removal of your garage sale signs no more then 24hrs after the sale ends. Failure to do so will result in a $10.00 Fee per sign.
MOBILE HOME LICENSE Mobile homes are permitted in private mobile home parks. Each mobile home is subject to a monthly license fee based on size, age, and assessed value of mobile home. Click Here for more information and to download the pre-authorized payment form. Contact (204) 239-8310 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
RAFFLE LICENSE Raffle Licenses within the City of Portage la Prairie will now be issued exclusively from the Manitoba Gaming Control Commission (MGCC). The City of Portage la Prairie will no longer be handling Raffle Licensing on the MGCC’s behalf. MGCC offers easy on-line application for licenses in all prize level ranges. More information can be found on their website: www.mgcc.mb.ca or by phoning 954-9400 or toll free at 1-800-782-0363.
LIVERY LICENCE A livery license is required annually to drive a taxi or to operate a taxi service. Applications are available at City Hall. For further information please contact (204) 239-8309.
City of Portage la Prairie 2016 Budget
- 2017 Budget Speech – pdf
- 2017 Grants – pdf
- 2016 Financial Plan – pdf
- 2016 Budget Speech – pdf
- 2016 Budget Listing – pdf
- 2016 Grants – pdf
- Consolidated Financial Statements 2015
For information on the Education Property Tax Credits: click here
For information on assessment for your property or any other property in MB: click here
For data on properties within the City or your own account information check out the City’s Virtual City Hall (with your password): click here
For information on Direct Payment & e-payment options through TelPay: click here
2016 Tax Levy Impact Calculator .xls file click here Taxes are at par for the month of July and penalties begin August 1st at a rate of 1.25% per month.
Seniors School Tax Rebate – See website http://www.gov.mb.ca/finance/tao/sstrebate.html
For more Tax information please contact email@example.com or call 204-239-8308
2014 marks the first year, starting April 1, whereby tax will be charged to hotel guests for the purpose of marketing the City, and economic development and tourism. Proceeds from the 5% charged on rooms will also contribute to upgrades and development of Saskatchewan Avenue.
• Accommodation By-law (13-8613) -pdf
• FAQ for Hoteliers -pdf
• Tax Remittance Form -pdf
• Application for Refund -pdf
T.I.P.P – TAX INSTALLMENT PAYMENT PLAN
WHAT IS “T.I.P.P.”? T.I.P.P. stands for Tax Installment Payment Plan. It is an automatic bank withdrawal payment plan by which taxpayers make consecutive monthly payments for taxes rather than a single annual amount. …….
WHO CAN JOIN TIPP: – Your tax account is in good standing – no arrears outstanding. – You must have an account with chequing privileges at a financial institution. – You do not presently pay your taxes through a mortgage company (P.I.T.) …….
HOW TO JOIN TIPP: – Sign a TIPP application before the withdrawals will begin. – You can download the application here. – Return the application along with a sample cheque marked “VOID” to CityHall or mail to: The City of Portage la Prairie Finance Department: Tax Division 97 Saskatchewan Ave. East Portage la Prairie, Manitoba R1N 0L8 or fax completed application and void cheque to: (204) 239-1532 (If faxing application DO NOT mail the original.) Application forms may be obtained by calling (204) 239-8308 or by visiting City Hall, Portage la Prairie. The City of Portage la Prairie does not charge for this service; however, normal bank charges may apply. …….
WHEN TO JOIN: Applications to start the plan the following year will be received up to December 15. However, you may apply to join TIPP after the January 15th instalment but prior to June 30th, with an initial payment of the missed instalments paid at the time of application.
QUESTIONS? If you have any further questions about the Tax Instalment Payment Plan (TIPP), please call (204) 239-8308, between 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.
2016 PROPERTY TAX PREPAYMENT Taxes may be prepaid up to 90 % of the previous year’s net tax levy in multiples of $10.00. The following rates of discount apply: January – 0.66% February – 0.55% March – 0.44% April – 0.33% May – 0.22% June – 0.11% Taxes are at par for the month of July and penalties begin August 1st at a rate of 1.25% per month. Direct Payment and e-payment options through TelPay: Click here for more information on Telpay
TAXES Needing information on assessment for your property or any other property in Manitoba? Click on www.gov.mb.ca/assessment. Or check out the City’s Virtual City Hall (Click Here) to get data on properties within the City or your own account information (with your password). For more Tax information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 204-239-8308.
A general re-assessment is completed every 2 years across Manitoba. Every property owner has the opportunity to appeal their assessment at a Board of Revision meeting, which is held each fall. An Application for Revision of Assessment Roll can be printed here: Application for Revision of Assessment Roll
Free parking is available throughout the city in designated parking lots. However, on street parking is also available for a nominal fee. …………..
COST FOR METER PARKING:
ZONE A – being Saskatchewan Avenue from 2nd St. N.W. to 3rd St. N.E. including both sides of Royal Road and Tupper Street. .25 cents for each 15 minutes. These meters take .25 cent, $1 and $2 coins only.
ZONE B – all remaining meters not included in Zone A – $0.05 for each 6 minutes. These meters take .05, .10 and .25 cent coins. …….
PARKING VIOLATION FINES: When a summons is left in or affixed to the vehicle or handed to the owner or operator thereof, the full fine may be paid in disposition of the offence as follows:
- Overtime parking in a metered space $40
- Parking violation of snow removal ban or routine snow removal or in fire lane $40
- Any other stopping, standing or parking violation $40
If the ticket is paid within 14 days from the time that a summons is left in or affixed to the vehicle or handed to the owner or operator thereof, a discounted rate may be paid.
- Overtime parking in metered space $10
- Parking in violation of snow removal ban or routine snow removal or in fire lane $30
- Any other stopping, standing or parking violation $10
Now you can Pay your Bills ONLINE: Click here
DISPUTING A PARKING TICKET
For information on how to dispute your parking ticket CLICK HERE
2016-2018 Utility Rates
Press release issued by the Public Utilities Board is here
GO PAPERLESS! – Utility E-Billing We are pleased to announce that e-billing for utility billings has successfully been implemented. Those who sign up receive their bills by e-mail (pdf version only) rather than by mail, which saves resources, reduces waste and saves extra costs. To sign up, please email email@example.com with your name, address and utility account number and the email address you would like the e-bill sent to. Please ensure to add the following email addresses to your safe sender list: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Utility Payment Options The City of Portage la Prairie offers a number of payment options for utilities:
- Pre-Authorized Payment Plan The city of Portage la Prairie offers the option of signing up for a pre-authorized payment plan of your utilities, to find out more click here to download a brochure and application form
- Budget Based Payment Plan The City of Portage la Prairie is now offering a budget plan for utility payments. The plan is for monthly, pre-authorized withdrawals of equal amounts from your financial institution rather than the current system of quarterly payments based on your actual consumption. The monthly withdrawals are scheduled to occur on the 15th banking day of each month. You can sign up for the program by completing and returning an application. The budget amount on the application will be based on the previous twelve month consumption period at that location, and will be the minimum amount allowed for the budget program. You will be advised of your budget amount. Your new bill will indicate your current standing in the plan, whether it be a credit balance or an amount owing. Your account will be reconciled and the budget amount will be recalculated once a year. At that time, you will be notified of the calculated budget amount for the upcoming year. Although the new budget plan will automate your payments, we will still require quarterly meter readings at your service location.
- TelPay: Direct Payment & e-payment options through TelPay. Visit www.telpay.ca to sign up.
- Paymentus: Now you can Pay your Bills ONLINE using VISA and Mastercard: Click here
- Telephone & Internet Banking Search for “Portage la Prairie, City, Utilities” as a payee with your banking institute. Contact your bank if you cannot locate Portage la Prairie as a payee. When entering the utility account number, the number needs to be ten digits log. Do not include the decimal point.
- Deposit Box: There is an after hours night deposit box is located on the east front door of City Hall
- In person at City Hall Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Interac debit card service is available)
Change of Water or Water & Sewer to another user or service:
• $40.00 per meter per turn on (performed during normal working hours)
• $95.00 per meter per turn-on (performed outside of normal working hours) …….
Construction turn on (for contractor’s use):
• $45.00 per construction turn-on for a period up to the date of substantial completion of the project as defined by the Builders Liens Act. The Contractor will also be responsible to pay the City the cost of any water consumed during this period at the applicable sewer and water rates. There would be a maximum of one construction turn-on per building allowed.
•$95 per construction turn-on performed outside of normal working hours.
If you have any questions please contact the water department at (204) 239-8370