Fire Prevention Week was started by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) in 1922 to commemorate the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. Fire Prevention Week teaches children and adults how to stay safe in the event of a fire. The Great Chicago Fire burned between October 8th to October 10th, with most of the damage done on October 9th. The fire caused roughly $200 million in damages, killing around 300 people, and destroying over 17,000 buildings and structures. The consequences were more than just fire damage itself, as martial law had to be declared after an outbreak of looting and lawlessness. The fire was said to have started when a cow kicked over a lantern in the O’Leary barn in the southwest side of the city.
Normally, pre-pandemic The Portage Fire Department visited the elementary schools in the area to teach the classes about Fire Safety and Fire Prevention. At the start of the Pandemic, we had to learn how to modify how we commemorated Fire Prevention Week and so started our Annual Fire Prevention Week Parade. This year will be different once again as COVID-19 restrictions are lifted, we Kick off Fire Prevention Week on Sunday October 9 at 1100 AM with our Parade and throughout the week our Fire Prevention Presentation Team and Smoke House will be touring the Elementary schools of Portage la Prairie and Surrounding Communities.
2022’s Parade will consist of the majority of our fleet including our 1973 Seagrave, 2012 Rosenbauer Water Tender, our NEW 2021 Spartan Pumper, 2019 Acres Mini Wildland Unit, 1999 Superior Rescue and 2000 Pierce 110-foot Aerial.
The parade route will be as follows:
- Depart Fire Hall, heading north on 3rd ST NE and proceeding to 5th Ave NE
- Turn West on 5th Ave NE and proceed to 6th Ave NE
- Turn North on Tupper St N and proceed to 8th ST NW
- At 8th St NW turn south and proceed to Crescent Ave
- At Crescent Road proceed East to Wilkinson Crescent
- Travel on Wilkinson Crescent to Armstrong St
- Proceed South on Armstrong St until Meighen Ave
- Travel East on Meighen Ave to Bridge Road
- Travel South on Bridge Road to Caledonia St
- Turn Left at Alexander Ave and proceed to Caithness St, take Caithness back to Bridge Rd
- Take Bridge Rd to Meighen Ave and proceed East to Crescent Rd(PTH 240)
- Travel Crescent Rd until 5th ST NW
- Turn North on 5th ST NW and proceed to Fire Hall