The City of Portage la Prairie is seeking a full time Deputy Fire Chief. Under the general direction of the Fire Chief, the incumbent will direct the organization, administration and operation of the municipal Fire Department including fire prevention and fire suppression. The incumbent will be directly involved in developing and training a highly qualified team of full and part-time staff to assist in the operation of the department and be responsible to the Fire Chief for any reports or inspections that may be deemed necessary for the Fire Commissioner’s Office. The incumbent assumes the duties of the Fire Chief in the absence of the Fire Chief.
- Prepares the work task assignments for the Fire Department.
- Assists with the administration and control of the annual operating and capital budgets of the division.
- Assists with the development of policies, procedures and programs for accomplishing approved department activities.
- Assists with the hiring and training of department personnel and the development, evaluation and discipline of staff within personnel policies and association agreements.
- Develops and administers a fire inspection program for the City and any external fire inspection program that is conducted by the City under contract with other jurisdictions. Carries out inspections on plans of new buildings to ensure compliance with the Fire Code and other relate Codes. The incumbent is responsible for enforcing the Fire Code and any contravention thereof, including an inspection portfolio consisting of all licensing and annual fire and life safety inspections for Residential Care and Child Care facilities.
- Ability to fulfill on-call coverage and respond to emergency incidents as required.
- Assists with the development of fire prevention and safety programs for the community.
- Provides back-up support for the administration of the Bylaw Enforcement Contract.
- Develops an equipment and facility maintenance management program.
- Availability to attend evening and/ or weekend meeting or other events if required.
Education and Experience
- Grade 12, G.E.D., or Mature High School Diploma
- Five (5) years in operation and fire rescue services and five (5) years in supervisory and leadership capacity within Municipal fire services in a unionized setting.
- The following courses and certifications are an asset: Firefighter NFPA 1001 Level II, NFPA 472 Awareness and Operations, NFPA 1002 Pump, NFPA 1041 Instructor, NFPA 1521 Incident Safety Officer, NFPA 1031 Fire Inspector, NFPA 1033 Fire Investigator, ICS certification to 200 Level.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Valid Class IV license is required.
Note: The qualifications are not intended to limit the opportunities for interested candidates but provide the candidates with an understanding of the level of expertise required in this position.
This position offers a salary range of $100, 766 – $118 549 and a benefit package. A condition of employment will be to have permanent residence within 2 miles (3.2km) of the City of Portage la Prairie’s corporate limits.
The selection committee intends to review applications as early as May 13th, 2022; however, applications may continue to be accepted until the right candidate is found.
Please forward resumes to:
Human Resources Office, City of Portage la Prairie
97 Saskatchewan Ave East
Portage la Prairie, MB, R1N 0L8
FAX (204) 239-1532
Email Address: email@example.com. Website: www.city-plap.com
The City of Portage la Prairie is committed to an inclusive, barrier free environment and will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Accessibility for Manitobans Act (AMA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. We thank all applicants for their interest; only those advancing in the competition will be contacted. If contacted to participate in the process, please advise if you require an accommodation.