The City of Portage la Prairie is seeking a full time Fire Fighter. Under the general direction of the shift supervisor, the incumbent will perform structural firefighting, wild land firefighting, other duties included are, but not limited to, rescue response, hazardous material response, fire prevention and inspection activities.
REQUIRED TO OPERATE EQUIPMENT SUCH AS:
- Variety of vehicles, specialized equipment, S.C.B.A.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Completed grade 12 or equivalent (GED) Proof of education must be supplied.
- Must have valid class 4 Manitoba Driver’s License with air endorsement. Must not have more than -4 on DSR. Please provide a copy of your; DSR Movement History, Driver’s License and a Driver’s Abstract with your application.
- Successful applicant must be able to meet medical, vision and hearing standards. (Applicants are responsible for all costs associated with these tests).
- Successful applicant must provide a Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check. (Applicants are responsible for all costs associated with these Checks)
- Firefighting Practices Level 1 and 2 (NFPA 1001) Accredited
- Standard First Aid and level C CPR
- Obtain Emergency Medical Responder or equivalent within 30 months. (Applicants are responsible for all costs associated with this course).
- Must establish a permanent residence where they regularly reside within 2 miles (3.2km) of the City of Portage la Prairie’s corporate limits.
Note: The minimum qualifications are not intended to limit the opportunities for interested candidates but provide the candidates with an understanding of the level of expertise required in this position.
- Vehicle Extrication
- Water and Ice Rescue
- Fire Inspections Level 1 and 2
- Hazmat Operations (NFPA 472)
- Fire and Life Safety Educator (NFPA 1035)
- Fire Apparatus Operator (NFPA 1002)
- Rescue Practices
- Canadian Firefighting Marshal’s Firefighter Pre-Entry Fitness Evaluation (CFFM FPFE)
HOURS OF WORK: Must be willing to work shift work and holidays. This is a unionized position and is subject to all terms and conditions of the collective agreement.
COMPLETED APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY NOON, FRIDAY JULY 15, 2022, AND MARKED “FIRE FIGHTER-2022.
PLEASE INCLUDE PROOF OF EDUCATION AND A COPY OF YOUR DRIVER’S LICENSE AND ABSTRACT WITH YOUR JOB APPLICATION.
Please forward resumes to:
Human Resources Office, City of Portage la Prairie
97 Saskatchewan Ave East
Portage la Prairie, MB, R1N 0L8
FAX (204) 239-1532
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: www.city-plap.com
The City of Portage la Prairie is committed to an inclusive, barrier free environment and will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Accessibility for Manitobans Act (AMA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. We thank all applicants for their interest; only those advancing in the competition will be contacted. If contacted to participate in the process, please advise if you require an accommodation.