Portage la Prairie Regional Library is seeking a Library Director. Reporting to the Portage la Prairie Regional Library Board, the Library Director oversees the daily operations of the library to provide exceptional library services to our community. The Library Director is responsible for providing strong leadership to the library team as well as being accountable for the financial management of the library in accordance with standards and policies established with the Board.
- Approves and directs Library expenditures within the limits of the budget as directed by the Board.
- Administers the Library according to the policies determined by the Board and in accordance with the requirements of the government, funding agencies, and Public Library Services.
- Oversees human resources matters relating to the Library operation including hiring, training, support, discipline, and termination of staff.
- Provides leadership, oversight and management for the planning, implementation, delivery and assessment of collections, library services, library emerging technologies, systems, and technical services.
- Collaborates and leads development, planning and implementation of library service initiatives and partnerships with community institutions, groups, and individuals to ensure Library services are responsive to community needs and interest.
- Acts as the professional face for the Library and is required to make presentations to the community.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated use of effective financial management practises.
- Well developed inter-personal, customer service and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong understanding of working effectively in a highly diverse, equitable and inclusive environment.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and develop effective partnerships with appropriate stakeholders.
- Advanced written, oral communication, organizational and time-management skills.
- Knowledge of computer hardware and software, including current library information systems, Internet applications, public interfaces, word processing, spreadsheets, social media and communication software.
Education and Experience:
- A post-secondary degree in Library Science, Business Administration or equivalent experience would be an asset.
- 5 years of management experience.
The Director will work a 37.5-hour work week. The Director attends all Board meetings and occasionally required to attend meetings with the City and RM council.
The Portage la Prairie Regional Library offers a competitive benefits and salary package. Candidates are encouraged to forward their resume, cover letter, salary expectations and references, by Friday February 26, 2021 to HR@city-plap.com.
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check and a Vulnerable Sector Check as a condition of employment.
We thank all applicants for applying; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.